Hanging inclined timber member supporting roof tiles. In Traditional Chinese Architecture rafters extend from purlin to purlin. Can also be used to as a unit of length.3
Any information without attribution has been created following the Syriaca.org editorial guidelines.
- 1 陳. 2010. 《營造法式》辭解, 378.
- 2 FU. 2017. Traditional Chinese Architecture: Twelve Essays, 351.
- 3 2018. ATTCAT 2018
Broad Match: building frame
How to Cite This Entry
Bibliography:“椽 chuán.” In Architectura Sinica, edited by Tracy Miller. Entry published January 18, 2020. https://architecturasinica.org/keyword/k000107.
About this Entry
Entry Title: 椽 chuán
Authorial and Editorial Responsibility:
- Tracy Miller, editor, Architectura Sinica
- Yuh-Fen Benda, associate editor, Architectural Terminology
- Data entry and editing by Yuh-Fen Benda
- Revision by Tracy Miller
- Revising title statement by SUN Zheng 孫正
Copyright and License for Reuse
Distributed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License.