- caihuazuo (Pinyin without tones)
- 彩畫作 (Traditional Chinese)
- 彩画作 (Simplified Chinese)
- cǎihuàzuò (Pinyin)
- ts’ai-hua-tso (Wade-Giles)
- polychrome painting works (lit.) (English)
- polychrome painting works (English)
A specific division of works that involves applying polychrome painting to architectural surfaces, categorized in the Yingzao fashi (1103). The Yingzao fashi details several schemes of polychrome painting works that can be largely divided into two types: (1) zhuangluan 裝銮 (lit. harness bells), which are images and/or patterns painted on components such as bracket-blocks, bracket-arms, cross-beams and pillars, as well as on wall surfaces; (2) shuaran 刷染 (lit. brushed-on colors), which entails less complicated designs and is limited to two or three colors used on the aforementioned surfaces as well as on doors, windows, balustrades (goulan 勾欄), pale fences (chazi 叉子) and other places not specified in the text.
Any information without attribution has been created following the Syriaca.org editorial guidelines.
- 3 2018. ATTCAT 2018
Broad Match: architectural ornament
How to Cite This Entry
Bibliography:REN Sijie 任思捷 et al., “ 彩畫作 cǎihuàzuò.” In Architectura Sinica, edited by Tracy Miller. Entry published May 7, 2020. https://architecturasinica.org/keyword/k000113.
About this Entry
Entry Title: 彩畫作 cǎihuàzuò
Authorial and Editorial Responsibility:
- Tracy Miller, editor, Architectura Sinica
- ZHUGE Jing 諸葛净, associate editor, Architectural Terminology
- REN Sijie 任思捷 and YANG Wantian 楊莞闐, entry contributors, “ 彩畫作 cǎihuàzuò”
- Website coordination by Yuh-Fen Benda
- Initial research and revision by REN Sijie 任思捷 YANG Wantian 楊莞闐
- Peer review by ATTCAT 2018
- Editing, proofreading, and revision by Tracy Miller
- English proofreading by Aurelia Campbell
- Chinese proofreading by ZHUGE Jing 諸葛净
- Data entry, adding citations, and revising statements by SUN Zheng 孫正
Copyright and License for Reuse
Distributed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License.