- polychrome painting works (preferred) (English)
- 彩畫作 (Traditional Chinese)
- 彩画作 (Simplified Chinese)
- cǎihuàzuò (Pinyin)
- ts’ai-hua-tso (Wade-Giles)
- polychrome painting works (lit.) (English)
A specific division of works that involves applying polychrome painting to architectural surfaces, categorized in the Yingzao fashi (1103). The Yingzao fashi details several schemes of polychrome painting works that can be largely divided into two types of polychrome painting: (1) zhuangluan 裝銮, which are images and/or patterns painted on components such as bracket-blocks, bracket-arms, cross-beams and pillars, as well as on wall surfaces; (2) shuaran 刷染, which entails less complicated designs and is limited to two-three colors used on aforementioned surfaces as well as on doors, windows, goulan 勾欄, chazi 叉子, and other applications not specified in the text.
Any information without attribution has been created following the Syriaca.org editorial guidelines.
- 3 ATTCAT 2018
Broad Match: Architectural Ornament
How to Cite This Entry
Bibliography:“ 彩畫作 cǎihuàzuò.” In Architectura Sinica, edited by Tracy Miller. Entry published May 7, 2020. https://architecturasinica.org/keyword/k000113.
About this Entry
Entry Title: 彩畫作 cǎihuàzuò
Authorial and Editorial Responsibility:
- Tracy Miller, editor, Architectura Sinica
- Yuh-Fen Benda, associate editor, Architectural Terminology
- REN Sijie 任思捷 and YANG Wantian 楊莞闐, entry contributors, “ 彩畫作 cǎihuàzuò”
- Initial research and revision by REN Sijie 任思捷 YANG Wantian 楊莞闐
- Peer review by ATTCAT 2018
- Editing, proofreading and revision by Tracy Miller
- Data entry, adding citations, and revising statements by SUN Zheng 孫正
Copyright and License for Reuse
Distributed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License.