Xingjiao Monastery  興教寺


  • Xingjiao Monastery (English)
  • 興教寺 (Traditional Chinese)
  • 兴教寺 (Simplified Chinese)
  • Xìngjiàosì (Pinyin)
  • Hsing-chiao-ssu (Wade-Giles)


  • Coordinates:
    • Lat. 34.091383° Long. 109.033876°
  • Site Information

    Xingjiao Monastery was constructed in 669 to contain the relics of the monk Xuanzang 玄奘 (602-664), which were moved in that year from their original burial pagoda. After his death/nirvana in 664 CE, Xuanzang’s remains were initially interred in White Deer Cliff (Bailuyuan 白鹿原), on the east bank of the Chanhe river 滻河, in the eastern suburbs of modern Xi’an. The name was given based on the Tang Suzong’s (r. 756-762) official bestowal of a plaque stating “flourishing teachings” 興教, onto the pagoda itself.

    The oldest buildings at the site are Xuanzong’s pagoda (669 CE), and the pagoda of two of his disciples, themselves rivals: Kuiji 窺基 (632–682; pagoda from 829) and the Silla monk Woncheuk (圓測 (613–696) ; pagoda from 1115 CE; Miller 90-91). The rest of the monastery was destroyed during the Tongzhi reign period (1861-1875) of the Qing dynasty. Rebuilding efforts, resulting in the current remaining buildings in the complex, were completed in 1922 and 1939 (ZGMSCD 1012).


    Dynasty Founded in the Tang Dynasty 2

    External Links

    Works Cited

    Any information without attribution has been created following the editorial guidelines.

    • 1 MILLER. 2018. Translating the Ta: Pagoda, Tumulus, and Ritualized Mahāyāna in Seventh-Century China, 90-91.Link to Zotero Bibliographic Record; 楊. 1986. 中國名勝詞典, 1012.Link to Zotero Bibliographic Record
    • 2 WILKINSON. 2000. Chinese History: A Manual, 12.Link to Zotero Bibliographic Record

    How to Cite This Entry

    Tracy Miller, “Xingjiao Monastery 興教寺 ” in Architectura Sinica last modified November 13, 2020,


    Tracy Miller, “Xingjiao Monastery 興教寺 .” In Architectura Sinica, edited by Tracy Miller. Entry published November 13, 2020.

    About this Entry

    Entry Title: Xingjiao Monastery 興教寺

    Authorial and Editorial Responsibility:

    • Tracy Miller, editor, Architectura Sinica
    • Tracy Miller, entry contributor, “Xingjiao Monastery 興教寺

    Additional Credit:

    • Initial research 2020 by Tracy Miller
    • Editing and proof correction by Tracy Miller

    Copyright and License for Reuse

    Except otherwise noted, this page is © 2020.

    Distributed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License.