In traditional Chinese fortifications, refers to the enceinte built outside the city gate. The shape can be square or round. The walls of the wengcheng are at the same height as, or slightly lower than, the main city walls. The battlements on wengcheng are connected to those on the main walls. There is often one gate, which is not facing the gate of the main city wall, on the wall of wengcheng. It plays a role in defending the city gates and resisting the enemy’s attack on wengcheng gate from both directions in the main city wall (dacheng 大城) and wengcheng. This term is explained in the Northern Song Dynasty (960-1127) text, the Wujing zongyao, chapter (juan) 12, City Wall Defenses (Shoucheng 守城).
城墻; 城門; 月城 yuèchéng
Any information without attribution has been created following the Syriaca.org editorial guidelines.
- 1 曾, 武經總要（清文淵閣四庫全書本）; 李, 中國土木建築百科辭典：建築, 358.; 郑, 军事大辞典, 623.; 黃, 宋代城郭的防禦設施及材料, 1-23.
- 2 ATTCAT 2018; HUANG, Defensive Structures and Construction Materials in Song City Walls, 51.
- 3 HUANG, Defensive Structures and Construction Materials in Song City Walls, 51.
- 4 GUO, A Visual Dictionary of Chinese Architecture 中國建築英漢雙解辭典, 63.
Broad Match: Fortification Elements
How to Cite This Entry
Bibliography:“ 甕城 wèngchéng.” In Architectura Sinica, edited by Tracy Miller. Entry published May 23, 2019. https://architecturasinica.org/keyword/k000089.
About this Entry
Entry Title: 甕城 wèngchéng
Authorial and Editorial Responsibility:
- Tracy Miller, editor, Architectura Sinica
- Yuh-Fen Benda, associate editor, Architectural Terminology
- JIA Tingli 賈亭立, entry contributor, “ 甕城 wèngchéng”
- Initial research and revision by JIA Tingli 賈亭立
- Peer review by ATTCAT 2018
- Data entry, proofreading and revision by Tracy Miller
- Adding citations Song Qisen 松奇森
- Revising title statement by SUN Zheng 孫正
Copyright and License for Reuse
Distributed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License.