Wudianding 廡殿頂 (also wudian 廡殿), literally the roof of a royal hall (Kroll 2015, 481, 86), is usually translated as a “hip roof”. It is a type of roof which consists of a central ridge, four sloped ridges, and four sloped surfaces, and is typically covered in ceramic roof tiles. This form of roof was mostly used for palace or other large-scale buildings. The term wudian is first seen in documents of the Qing dynasty. In the Tang and Song dynasties, this roof type was called si`e 四阿. According to the Yingzao fashi 營造法式, "si`e palatial halls"（si’e diange 四阿殿閣）can also be called "five-ridge halls" (wujidian 五脊殿) as well as "Wu halls" (Wudian 吳殿). The Yingzao fayuan 營造法原, which discusses the architectural practices of the Jiangnan region during the Yuan and Ming Dynasties, used the term "siheshe" 四合舍 for this kind of roof (姚 et al. 1986, 37).5
中國古代建築的一種屋頂形式，指具有一道正脊、四條垂脊、四面坡的屋頂。從唐宋以來的文獻資料看，這種屋頂形式多用於宮殿建築或規模較大的大式建築。廡殿一詞用於指這種屋頂形式的用法最早出現於清代（工部 1773，1）。 唐宋時期這種屋頂形式被稱為“四阿”，宋《營造法式》中又稱“四阿殿閣”為“五脊殿”、“吳殿”。（李 2009, 5）反應了元明以來江南地區建築做法的《營造法原》中稱這種屋頂形式為“四合舍”（姚 et al. 1986, 37）。6
Any information without attribution has been created following the Syriaca.org editorial guidelines.
- 1 GUO. 2002. A Visual Dictionary of Chinese Architecture
- 2 漢語大詞典編纂処. 2011. 漢語大詞典, accessed June 12, 2022.
- 3 GUO. 2002. A Visual Dictionary of Chinese Architecture, 74,142.; LIANG. 2005. Chinese architecture: a pictorial history
- 4 FU. 2017. Traditional Chinese Architecture: Twelve Essays, 366, 369.
- 5 KROLL. 2015. A Student's Dictionary of Classical and Medieval Chinese, 481, 86.; KROLL. 2015. A Student's Dictionary of Classical and Medieval Chinese, accessed 2022.; 李. 2009. 營造法式(故宫藏抄本), 5.; 姚. 1986. 营造法原, 37.
- 6 李. 2009. 營造法式(故宫藏抄本), 5.; 姚. 1986. 营造法原, 37.; 狩谷. 1883. 箋注倭名類聚抄, 3.2b.; 帝闕城垣規制（不分卷）; 清工部. 1773. 工程做法, 1.
Broad Match: roof types
How to Cite This Entry
Bibliography:JIA Tingli 賈亭立 et al., “ 廡殿頂 wǔdiàndǐng.” In Architectura Sinica, edited by Tracy Miller. Entry published May 17, 2020. https://architecturasinica.org/keyword/k000125.
About this Entry
Entry Title: 廡殿頂 wǔdiàndǐng
Authorial and Editorial Responsibility:
- Tracy Miller, editor, Architectura Sinica
- ZHUGE Jing 諸葛净, associate editor, Architectural Terminology
- JIA Tingli 賈亭立 and MA Jiaqi 馬嘉琪, entry contributors, “ 廡殿頂 wǔdiàndǐng”
- Website coordination by Yuh-Fen Benda
- Peer review by ATTCAT 2019
- English proofreading by Aurelia Campbell Tracy Miller
- Chinese proofreading by ZHUGE Jing 諸葛净 ZUO Lala 左拉拉
- Data entry, adding citations SUN Zheng
- Adding notes, bibliography, photo CHEN Zhuo 陈卓
Copyright and License for Reuse
Distributed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License.