- xieshan (Pinyin without tones)
- 歇山 (Traditional Chinese)1
- 歇山 (Simplified Chinese)
- xiēshān (Pinyin)
- hsieh-shan (Wade-Giles)
- 歇山頂 (Traditional Chinese)3
- xiēshāndǐng (Pinyin)3
- interrupted or halted mountain (peak) (lit.) (English)2
- hip-gable (roof) (ATTCAT preferred translation) (English)3
- gable and hip roof (English)4
- gable-on-hip roof (English)5
Meaning, literally, interrupted or halted mountain (peak) (Kroll 2015, 503, 399), in an architectural context xieshan 歇山 is a form of traditional Chinese gabled roof with four ridges (two per side) framing the gable, above a lower hip roof with an additional four ridges above four corner beams supporting the hip (Qing gongbu 1773, 54.1b). Sometimes it is written as xieshan ding 歇山頂 (anonymous 1644-1911, 29a). The term is first seen in Qing dynasty texts and was only used for palace or other large-scale buildings. In modern research, xieshan also describes a roof form without obvious ridges but with four slopes and two gables in vernacular architecture (Wang, 1991). See also: shaliangtou6
Any information without attribution has been created following the Syriaca.org editorial guidelines.
- 1 清工部. 1773. 工程做法, 42.1a.
- 2 KROLL. 2015. A Student's Dictionary of Classical and Medieval Chinese, 503, 399.
- 3 FU. 2017. Traditional Chinese Architecture: Twelve Essays, 305, 311, 380.
- 4 LIANG. 2005. Chinese architecture: a pictorial history, 190.
- 5 GUO. 2002. A Visual Dictionary of Chinese Architecture, 83.; FU. 2017. Traditional Chinese Architecture: Twelve Essays, 305, 311, 369.
- 6 清工部. 1773. 工程做法, 54.1b.; 佚名. 1644-1911. 地宮作法, 29a.; 王. 1991. 歇山沿革试析——探驪折紮之一, 29-32, 64.
Broad Match: roof types
How to Cite This Entry
Bibliography:JIA Tingli 賈亭立 et al., “ 歇山 xiēshān.” In Architectura Sinica, edited by Tracy Miller. Entry published March 12, 2021. https://architecturasinica.org/keyword/k000143.
About this Entry
Entry Title: 歇山 xiēshān
Authorial and Editorial Responsibility:
- Tracy Miller, editor, Architectura Sinica
- ZHUGE Jing 諸葛净, associate editor, Architectural Terminology
- JIA Tingli 賈亭立 and ZHOU Jun 周俊, entry contributors, “ 歇山 xiēshān”
- Website coordination by Yuh-Fen Benda
- Preliminary research CMW 2021
- Data entry, adding citations by ZHANG Xuliang 張序亮
- Peer review by ATTCAT 2021
- English proofreading by Aurelia Campbell Tracy Miller
- Chinese proofreading by ZHUGE Jing 諸葛净 ZUO Lala 左拉拉
- Adding links by XIE Qizheng 謝祺錚
Copyright and License for Reuse
Distributed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License.