As an architectural term, caojia (literally "draft frame", Kroll 2015 34, 194), primarily appears in technical manuals such as the Yingzao fashi (1103), Yuanye 園冶 (1631), and Yingzao fayuan 營造法原 (1959). It refers to the roof frame between the interior ceiling (the pingqi 平棊 in Yingzao Fashi and the xuan 軒 or juan 卷 in mansion-hall style architecture of Jiangnan area in Ming and Qing dynasties) and the roof, which is left rough (hence the term "draft") because it is not visible to the viewer (Chen 2010, 259; Yao 1986, 116).4
In addition, the term caojia zhuzi 草架柱子 in Qing dynasty documents has a similar meaning of a "rough pillar" because, like a draft, it was not meant to exposed (Gongbu, 1773, 2.21a; Guan 1644-1911, 29; Li 1795, 17.6a).4
Any information without attribution has been created following the Syriaca.org editorial guidelines.
- 1 漢語大詞典編纂処. 2011. 漢語大詞典
- 2 GUO. 2002. A Visual Dictionary of Chinese Architecture, 21.; FU. 2017. Traditional Chinese Architecture: Twelve Essays, 350.
- 3 KROLL. 2015. A Student's Dictionary of Classical and Medieval Chinese, 34, 194.
- 4 陳. 2010. 《營造法式》辭解, 259.; 116., 116.; 清工部. 1773. 工程做法, 2.21a.; 1644-1911. 圓明園內工則例, 29.; 李. 1795. 揚州畫舫錄, 17.6a.
Broad Match: building frame
How to Cite This Entry
Bibliography:BAI Ying 白穎 et al., “ 草架cǎojià.” In Architectura Sinica, edited by Tracy Miller. Entry published April 8, 2021. https://architecturasinica.org/keyword/k000183.
About this Entry
Entry Title: 草架cǎojià
Authorial and Editorial Responsibility:
- Tracy Miller, editor, Architectura Sinica
- ZHUGE Jing 諸葛净, associate editor, Architectural Terminology
- BAI Ying 白穎 and MIAO Tongxi 繆彤茜, entry contributors, “ 草架cǎojià”
- Website coordination by Yuh-Fen Benda
- Preliminary research CMW 2021
- Peer review by ATTCAT 2021
- English proofreading by Aurelia Campbell Tracy Miller
- Chinese proofreading by ZHUGE Jing 諸葛净 ZUO Lala 左拉拉
- Data entry and adding notes and citations by MIAO Tongxi 繆彤茜
Copyright and License for Reuse
Distributed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License.