Jin Shrines, Shrine to the Eastern Peak 東嶽祠https://architecturasinica.org/place/000048i
- Shrine to Divinities of the Vast Heaven (English)
- 東嶽祠 (Traditional Chinese)
- 东岳祠 (Simplified Chinese)
- Dōngyuècí (Pinyin)
- Tung-yüeh-tz'u (Wade-Giles)
- 東嶽廟 (Traditional Chinese)
- 东岳庙 (Simplified Chinese)
- Temple to the Eastern Peak (English)
The earliest documentation of a temple to the Eastern Peak at Jinci is in Wang Sicheng’s stele inscription of 1342 where it was called the Temple to Mount Tai (Taishanmiao 泰山廟). Gao Ruxing also shows a Temple to Mount Tai on his map of Jinci published in 1551 (Gao Ruxing, Taiyuan xianzhi 1/11a and Jinci zhitu ) and it was still called this in a 1567 repair inscription (JCZ 29). However, Liu Dapeng was uncertain of the age of the temple. By his time, the temple had also been changed from Temple to Mount Tai to Shrine to the Eastern Peak (Dongyueci 東嶽祠). The shrine was repaired in 1825 and 1877 (JCZ 29).1
Any information without attribution has been created following the Syriaca.org editorial guidelines.
- 1 劉. 1986. 晉祠志, 29.; MILLER. 2007. The Divine Nature of Power: Chinese Ritual Architecture at the Sacred Site of Jinci, 190.
- 2 WILKINSON. 2000. Chinese History: A Manual, 12.
Contained in Place
How to Cite This Entry
Bibliography:Tracy Miller, “Jin Shrines, Shrine to the Eastern Peak 東嶽祠 .” In Architectura Sinica, edited by . Entry published October 22, 2020. https://architecturasinica.org/place/000048i.
About this Entry
Entry Title: Jin Shrines, Shrine to the Eastern Peak 東嶽祠
Authorial and Editorial Responsibility:
- Tracy Miller, entry contributor, “Jin Shrines, Shrine to the Eastern Peak 東嶽祠 ”
- Editing and proof correction Tracy Miller
- Data entry Waka Ogihara
Copyright and License for Reuse
Distributed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License.