Zhenguo Monastery  鎮國寺



  • Zhenguo Monastery (English)
  • Zhènguósì (Pinyin)
  • Chen-kuo-ssu (Wade-Giles)
  • 鎮國寺 (Traditional Chinese)
  • 镇国寺 (Simplified Chinese)
  • Jingchengsi (Pinyin)
  • 京城寺 (Traditional Chinese)
  • 京城寺 (Simplified Chinese)


山西省平遥县 Shanxi
  • China
  • Province:
    • Shanxi (Pinyin)
    • 山西省 (Traditional Chinese)
    • 山西省 (Simplified Chinese)
  • County-city:
    • Pingyao (Pinyin)
    • 平遥 (Simplified Chinese)
  • Political-subdivision:
    • (Simplified Chinese)
    • County (English)
  • Coordinates:
    • Lat. 37.25298611° Long. 112.248006°
  • Site Information

    Zhenguo Monastery is located at Haodong village, Xianghuan township, 14 km northeast of Pingyao, Shanxi. It was originally named Jingcheng Monastery (京城寺), built in the seventh year of Northern Han’s Tianhui Reign period (963), and partially repaired in the third year of the Jin Dynasty’s Tiande Period (1151). The Celestial Kings Hall (Tianwangdian 天王殿) and Three Buddhas Tower (Sanfodian 三佛樓) were rebuilt in the Yuan and Ming periods and received some repairs during the Yongzheng, Qianlong, and Jiaqing periods (1723-1821) of the Qing Dynasty. The monastery received its current name in the nineteenth year of the Ming Dynasty’s Jiajing Period.2

    It has a north-south orientation with the entry facing south and a two courtyard arrangement. The Celestial Kings Hall, Ten-thousand Buddhas Hall and Three Buddhas Tower sit on the central axis. Bell tower, drum tower, Guanyin Hall (Guanyindian 觀音殿), and Dizang Hall (地藏殿) were built on the sides, in addition to monastic complexes located west of the temple.3

    Among the extant buildings, only the Ten-thousand Buddhas Hall was built during the Five Dynasties period. The rest of the buildings are dated to the Ming and Qing periods. There are eleven Five Dynasty period sculptures, eleven Ming and Qing period sculptures, 150 square meters of Ming and Qing wall paintings, one iron bell from the fifth year of Jin Dynasty’s Huangtong period (1145), twelve Ming and Qing period steles, and 6 stone tablets. Among them, “the Half Stele” (Banjiebei, 半截碑) can be dated to the Northern Han of the Five Dynasties period.2

    Dynasty Five Dynasties 907 - 960 1

    External Links

    Works Cited

    Any information without attribution has been created following the Syriaca.org editorial guidelines.

    • 1 WILKINSON. 2000. Chinese History: A Manual, 11.Link to Zotero Bibliographic Record
    • 2 788-789., 788-789.
    • 3 刘. JAN, 2012. 平遥镇国寺万佛殿大木结构测量数据解读, 101-103.Link to Zotero Bibliographic Record

    Contains artifact(s) (1)

    Date range

    How to Cite This Entry

    Song Qisen, “Zhenguo Monastery 鎮國寺 ” in Architectura Sinica last modified December 15, 2021, https://architecturasinica.org/place/000121.


    Song Qisen, “Zhenguo Monastery 鎮國寺 .” In Architectura Sinica, edited by Tracy Miller. Entry published March 21, 2018. https://architecturasinica.org/place/000121.

    About this Entry

    Entry Title: Zhenguo Monastery 鎮國寺

    Authorial and Editorial Responsibility:

    • Tracy Miller, editor, Architectura Sinica
    • Song Qisen, entry contributor, “Zhenguo Monastery 鎮國寺

    Additional Credit:

    • Website coordination by Yuh-Fen Benda
    • Initial research 2021 by WANG Beining 王贝宁
    • adding external links Song Qisen
    • Editing and proof correction by Tracy Miller

    Copyright and License for Reuse

    Except otherwise noted, this page is © 2018.

    Distributed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License.