Baitai Monastery, back great hall 白臺寺後大殿https://architecturasinica.org/place/000127
- back great hall (English)
- 後大殿 (Traditional Chinese)
- 后大殿 (Simplified Chinese)
- hòudàdiàn (Pinyin)
- hou-ta-tien (Wade-Giles)
- Baitaisi houdadian (English)
- 白臺寺後大殿 (Traditional Chinese)
- 白台寺后大殿 (Simplified Chinese)
- Lat. 35.663933° Long. 111.06937°
Building InformationThe back great hall (後大殿) of Baitai Monastery was rebuilt during the 11th year of Yuan Zhiyuan reign period (1274). The brick podium is 0.33 meters high. The front façade is 5-bays wide with a depth of 6 rafters. The single eaves, gable roof has a main ridge made of carved brick (砖雕). The roof frame is formed by a four-rafter beam facing a posterior rufu tie-beam with three columns in cross-section supported by upturned basin column bases. Under the eaves are five-layer bracket sets with double huagong (petal/blossom bracket arms). There are no intercolumnar bracket sets. A partition door is hung on the central bay under the front eaves. The square lattice windows in the secondary bays were later additions. In the middle of the Buddhist altar of this hall, there is a seated Śākyamuni on lotus dias, with bodhisattvas and attendants flanked on both sides. These sculptures emulate the Tang style. The hall faces onto a sizable moon-platform the center of which holds a Tang-style pagoda shaped inscribed pillar, four Song-style octagonal dhārāṇi pillar at the four corners, and a Song-style iron cloud frame plaque.1
Dynasty Yuan 1271 - 1368 2
Any information without attribution has been created following the Syriaca.org editorial guidelines.
- 1 国家文物局. 2006. 中国文物地图集. 山西分册, III (xia): 1099; 126-C1-3.
- 2 WILKINSON. 2000. Chinese History: A Manual, 12.
How to Cite This Entry
“Baitai Monastery, back great hall 白臺寺後大殿 ” in Architectura Sinica last modified September 25, 2020, https://architecturasinica.org/place/000127.
Bibliography:“Baitai Monastery, back great hall 白臺寺後大殿 .” In Architectura Sinica, edited by Tracy Miller and Tracy Miller. Entry published March 21, 2018. https://architecturasinica.org/place/000127.
About this Entry
Entry Title: Baitai Monastery, back great hall 白臺寺後大殿
Authorial and Editorial Responsibility:
- Tracy Miller and Tracy Miller, editors, Architectura Sinica
- Initial translation 2010 by Lydia Ohl
- Revised initial translation 2011 by Cole Garrett
- Modified 2017 by WONG Pui See
- Revised 2020 by Tracy Miller
- Adding citation Melanie Lu
- Revise and adding citation Yuh-Fen Benda
Copyright and License for Reuse
Except otherwise noted, this page is © 2018.
Distributed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License.