Baitai Monastery 白臺寺https://architecturasinica.org/place/000002
- Baitai Monastery (English)
- Báitáisì (Pinyin)
- Pai-t`ai-ssu (Wade-Giles)
- 白臺寺 (Traditional Chinese)
- 白台寺 (Simplified Chinese)
- Shanxi (Pinyin)
- 山西省 (Traditional Chinese)
- 山西省 (Simplified Chinese)
- Xinjiang (Pinyin)
- 新绛 (Simplified Chinese)
- 县 (Simplified Chinese)
- County (English)
- Lat. 35.66366667° Long. 111.0694°
- Lat. 35.66345° Long. 111.0694°
- Lat. 35.663933° Long. 111.06937°
Site InformationBaitai Monastery is located at about 200 meters southwest of Guangma Village, Gujiao Town (古交鎮光馬村). Jin and Yuan dynasties. It is one of the historical and cultural sites protected at the provincial level. The name baitai takes after the legendary white lotus throne of the Buddha. The monastery also has an alternate name, Puhua Monastery (普化寺). According to an inscription, it was renovated multiple times; during the 14th year of Tang Kaiyuan reign period (726), in the Jin Dading (1161-1190) and Jin Mingchang (1190-1196) reign periods, the 15th year of Yuan Zhizheng (元至正) reign period (1355), and the 6th year of Ming Zhengde (明正德) reign period (1511). Additions were also made during the Qing dynasty. The site, which has a north-south orientation, occupies a total area of about 4,482 meters2. The monastery has a two courtyard configuration with three axial buildings, Sandi Fazangge (三滴法藏閣), Shijiadian (釋迦殿) and back great hall (後大殿), as well as two extant side buildings, the east Mountain Gate (東山門) and the west side building (西廂房). Other extant structures include a Tang pagoda pillar, 4 Song dhārāṇi pillars, a Song cloud-framed plaque from the third year of Song dynasty Xuanhe reign period (1121), and 18 polychrome clay sculptures.1
Dynasty Jin through Qing 1115-1912 2
Any information without attribution has been created following the Syriaca.org editorial guidelines.
- 1 国家文物局. 2006. 中国文物地图集. 山西分册, III:1099,126–C1-3.
- 2 WILKINSON. 2000. Chinese History: A Manual, 12.
How to Cite This Entry
Tracy Miller, “Baitai Monastery 白臺寺 ” in Architectura Sinica last modified September 8, 2020, https://architecturasinica.org/place/000002.
Bibliography:Tracy Miller, “Baitai Monastery 白臺寺 .” In Architectura Sinica, edited by Tracy Miller. Entry published March 21, 2018. https://architecturasinica.org/place/000002.
About this Entry
Entry Title: Baitai Monastery 白臺寺
Authorial and Editorial Responsibility:
- Tracy Miller, editor, Architectura Sinica
- Tracy Miller, entry contributor, “Baitai Monastery 白臺寺 ”
- Initial translation 2010 by Lydia Ohl
- Revised initial translation by Cole Garrett
- Modified translation 2017 by WONG Pui See
- Adding external links, citations 2020 by Yuh-Fen Benda
Copyright and License for Reuse
Except otherwise noted, this page is © 2018.
Distributed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License.