Baitai Monastery, Śākyamuni Hall 白臺寺釋迦殿https://architecturasinica.org/place/000125
- Śākyamuni Hall (English)
- 釋迦殿 (Traditional Chinese)
- 释迦殿 (Simplified Chinese)
- Shìjiādiàn (Pinyin)
- Shih-chia-tien (Wade-Giles)
- Baitaisi Shijiadian (English)
- 白臺寺釋迦殿 (Traditional Chinese)
- 白台寺释迦殿 (Simplified Chinese)
- Lat. 35.66366667° Long. 111.0694°
Building InformationShijiadian or Śākyamuni Hall (釋迦殿) of Baitai Monastery (Jin dynasty) Rebuilt during the Jin Mingchang reign period (1190-1194). The brick podium was built according to the terrain, with the front and the back elevation of 0.75 meter and 0.3 meter respectively. Front façade of 3 bays and depth of 6 rafters. Single eaves hip-gable roof. All of the roof ridges, including the main ridge, the pendant ridge, the subsidiary ridge and the roof finial, are carved brick. Under the eaves are columns with four-layer bracket sets and a single cantilever. The central bay has an intercolumnar bracket set. The roof frame is formed by a four-rafter beam facing a posterior rufu tie-beam with three columns in cross-section and an upturned basin column base. Under the front eaves, there is a bi-valve door hung in the central bay. Lattice windows are in the secondary bays of the building. In the hall, there is a Buddhist altar that holds 12 Buddhist sculptures, which are arranged as follows: Śākyamuni in the middle, flanked by Ānanda, Kāśyapa and bodhisattvas on either side. Under the two gable walls, there are 6 extant arhat sculptures. Behind the interior screen wall, there is a sculpture of Skanda (Weituo韋馱)that has been modified by later generations and hence lost its original characteristics.1
Dynasty Jin 1115 - 1234 2
Any information without attribution has been created following the Syriaca.org editorial guidelines.
- 1 国家文物局. 2006. 中国文物地图集. 山西分册, III (xia): 1099; 126-C1-2.
- 2 WILKINSON. 2000. Chinese History: A Manual, 12.
How to Cite This Entry
Tracy Miller, “Baitai Monastery, Śākyamuni Hall 白臺寺釋迦殿” in Architectura Sinica last modified September 24, 2020, https://architecturasinica.org/place/000125.
Bibliography:Tracy Miller, “Baitai Monastery, Śākyamuni Hall 白臺寺釋迦殿.” In Architectura Sinica, edited by Tracy Miller. Entry published March 21, 2018. https://architecturasinica.org/place/000125.
About this Entry
Entry Title: Baitai Monastery, Śākyamuni Hall 白臺寺釋迦殿
Authorial and Editorial Responsibility:
- Tracy Miller, editor, Architectura Sinica
- Tracy Miller, entry contributor, “Baitai Monastery, Śākyamuni Hall 白臺寺釋迦殿”
- Initial translation 2010 by Lydia Ohl
- Revised 2011 by Cole Garrett
- Modified 2017 by WONG Pui See
- Data entry, proof correction 2018 by Tracy Miller
- adding citation Melanie Lu
Copyright and License for Reuse
Except otherwise noted, this page is © 2018.
Distributed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License.