Zhenru Monastery 真如寺https://architecturasinica.org/place/000290
- Zhenru Monastery (English)
- 真如寺 (Traditional Chinese)
- 真如寺 (Simplified Chinese)
- Zhēnrúsì (Pinyin)
- Chen-ju-ssu (Wade-Giles)
- Shanghai Municipality (English)
- 上海市 (Traditional Chinese)
- Shànghǎi shì (Pinyin)
- Putuo District (English)
- 普陀區 (Traditional Chinese)
- Pǔtuó qū (Pinyin)
- Lat. 31.251389° Long. 121.396667°
Zhenru Monastery, also known as Dasi, the “Grand Temple,” in the Qing dynasty, is a Buddhist monastery located in Zhenru Town in northwest Shanghai (Lu 2004; Zuo 2019, 130). The town is named after the monastery (Shanghai wenwu baoguan weiyuanhui 1966, 16). The Monk Yong’an reconstructed the monastery and gave the name Zhenruyuan to it during the Jiading reign (1208-1224) of the Southern Song dynasty (Lu 2004). Then it was relocated to a place called Taoshupu by the Monk Miaoxin during the Yanyou reign (1314-1320) of the Yuan dynasty and he acquired a new plaque in order to change the name from Zhenruyuan to Zhenrusi (Lu 2004). Later during the Hongwu reign (1368-1398) and the Hongzhi Reign (1488-1505) of the Ming dynasty, Monk Daoxin and Monk Falei restored the monastery twice (Lu 2004).1
真如寺，清代又稱大寺，是一座位於上海西北真如鎮的佛教寺廟（陸 2004 ; 左 2019,130)。 真如鎮由寺得名（上海文物保管委員會 1996，16）. 南宋嘉定年間（1208-1224）僧人永安重修寺廟並命其名為真如院（陸 2004)。 元代延祐年間（1314-1320）僧人妙心移寺至桃樹浦並請額將真如院改名為真如寺。 明洪武（1368-1398）與弘治（1488-1505）年間僧道馨與法雷前後兩次修復真如寺（陸 2004)。1
Any information without attribution has been created following the Syriaca.org editorial guidelines.
- 1 陸. 2004. 真如里志; ZUO. 2019. Timber-Framed Architecture of the Lower Yangzi, 130.; 上海市文物保管委员会. 1966. 上海市郊元代建筑真如寺正殿中发现的工匠墨笔字, 16.
- 2 WILKINSON. 2000. Chinese History: A Manual, 12.
How to Cite This Entry
Bibliography:CHEN Baolong 陈宝龙, “Zhenru Monastery 真如寺 .” In Architectura Sinica, edited by Tracy Miller. Entry published April 2, 2021. https://architecturasinica.org/place/000290.
About this Entry
Entry Title: Zhenru Monastery 真如寺
Authorial and Editorial Responsibility:
- Tracy Miller, editor, Architectura Sinica
- CHEN Baolong 陈宝龙, entry contributor, “Zhenru Monastery 真如寺 ”
- Initial research 2021 by CHEN Baolong 陈宝龙
- Editing and proof correction by ZUO Lala 左拉拉 , Tracy Miller
- Website coordination by Yuh-Fen Benda
Copyright and License for Reuse
Distributed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License.