- cloister (English)
- yuàn (preferred) (Pinyin)
- 院 (Traditional Chinese)
- 院 (Simplified Chinese)
An enclosed quandrangle of buildings or the enclosing wall. Can refer to a single temple complex or an enclosed unit within a larger building complex, such as a palace. Often translated as "cloister," particularly in the Buddhist context.2
How to Cite This Entry
Bibliography:Tracy Miller, “ 院 yuàn.” In Architectura Sinica, edited by Tracy Miller. Entry published March 21, 2018. https://architecturasinica.org/keyword/k000012.
About this Entry
Entry Title: 院 yuàn
Authorial and Editorial Responsibility:
- Tracy Miller, editor, Architectura Sinica
- Tracy Miller, entry contributor, “ 院 yuàn”
- Editing, proofreading, data entry and revision by Tracy Miller
- adding various languages and revising title statement 2020 by SUN Zheng
Copyright and License for Reuse
Distributed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License.