A walled courtyard containing buildings, space enclosed by a wall, or the enclosing wall around a group of buildings. Can also refer to a single building complex or an enclosed unit within a larger building complex, such as a palace or bureaucratic office. Often translated as "cloister," particularly in the Buddhist context.3
Any information without attribution has been created following the Syriaca.org editorial guidelines.
- 1 FU. 2017. Traditional Chinese Architecture: Twelve Essays, 371.
- 2 KROLL. 2015. A Student's Dictionary of Classical and Medieval Chinese, 577.
- 3 KROLL. 2015. A Student's Dictionary of Classical and Medieval Chinese, 577.; 漢語大詞典編纂処. 2011. 漢語大詞典, digital edition.
How to Cite This Entry
Bibliography:CMW S21, “ 院 yuàn.” In Architectura Sinica, edited by Tracy Miller. Entry published March 21, 2018. https://architecturasinica.org/keyword/k000012.
About this Entry
Entry Title: 院 yuàn
Authorial and Editorial Responsibility:
- Tracy Miller, editor, Architectura Sinica
- ZHUGE Jing 諸葛净, associate editor, Architectural Terminology
- CMW S21, entry contributor, “ 院 yuàn”
- Editing, proofreading, data entry and revision by Tracy Miller
- Adding various scripts and revising title statement 2020 by SUN Zheng
- Adding citation information 2021 by ZUO Lala 左拉拉 Tracy Miller
Copyright and License for Reuse
Distributed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License.