- an (Pinyin without tones)
- 庵 (Traditional Chinese)
- 庵 (Simplified Chinese)
- ān (Pinyin)
- an (Wade-Giles)
literally: a cottage or hut; in a religious context a hermitage, sanctuary; often a convent (Kroll 2015, 2; Guo 2002, 16; Hanyu dacidian (online edition))1
Any information without attribution has been created following the Syriaca.org editorial guidelines.
- 1 KROLL. 2015. A Student's Dictionary of Classical and Medieval Chinese, 2.; GUO. 2002. A Visual Dictionary of Chinese Architecture, 16.
How to Cite This Entry
Bibliography:CMW S21, “ 庵 an.” In Architectura Sinica, edited by Tracy Miller. Entry published March 21, 2018. https://architecturasinica.org/keyword/k000031.
About this Entry
Entry Title: 庵 an
Authorial and Editorial Responsibility:
- Tracy Miller, editor, Architectura Sinica
- ZHUGE Jing 諸葛净, associate editor, Architectural Terminology
- CMW S21, entry contributor, “ 庵 an”
- Website coordination by Yuh-Fen Benda
- Editing, proofreading, data entry and revision by Tracy Miller
- Adding citation information 2021 by ZHANG Xuliang 張序亮
Copyright and License for Reuse
Distributed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License.