As used in the in the Yingzao fashi (1103) to define a building component, the fang 方 is a structural timber whose cross-section measurement is based on a single standard modular unit (dancai) of the larger building. Its application is relatively flexible, and the term is often modified by the names of locations where it is used within the building. In the Qing dynasty the character fang 枋 encompasses the architectural use of the character 方.4
Any information without attribution has been created following the Syriaca.org editorial guidelines.
- 1 ATTCAT 2018
- 2 GUO, A Visual Dictionary of Chinese Architecture 中國建築英漢雙解辭典, 35.
- 3 KROLL, A Student's Dictionary of Classical and Medieval Chinese, 108.; GUO, A Visual Dictionary of Chinese Architecture 中國建築英漢雙解辭典, 35.
- 4 GUO, A Visual Dictionary of Chinese Architecture 中國建築英漢雙解辭典, 35.
Broad Match: Building Frame
How to Cite This Entry
Bibliography:“ 方 fāng.” In Architectura Sinica, edited by Tracy Miller. Entry published May 7, 2020. https://architecturasinica.org/keyword/k000116.
About this Entry
Entry Title: 方 fāng
Authorial and Editorial Responsibility:
- Tracy Miller, editor, Architectura Sinica
- ZHUGE Jing 諸葛净, associate editor, Architectural Terminology
- CHEN Luxi 陳麓西, entry contributor, “ 方 fāng”
- Initial research and revision by ZHUGE Jing 諸葛净 CHEN Luxi 陳麓西
- Peer review by ATTCAT 2018
- Website coordination by Yuh-Fen Benda
- English proofreading by Aurelia Campbell
- Chinese proofreading by ZHUGE Jing 諸葛净
- Data entry and adding citations by SUN Zheng 孫正
Copyright and License for Reuse
Distributed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License.