As an architectural member in the Yingzao fashi (1103), the fang 方 refers to a timber whose cross-section measurement utilizes the dancai for the building as a standard. Its use is relatively flexible, and the term is often modified by the names of the different location where it is used within the building. In the Qing dynasty fang 枋 is used rather than 方.4
宋營造法式中， 方則指 斷面尺寸一單材為基準的小斷面構建，使用較靈活， 一所處位置有不同的名稱。
Any information without attribution has been created following the Syriaca.org editorial guidelines.
- 1 ATTCAT 2018
- 2 GUO, A Visual Dictionary of Chinese Architecture 中國建築英漢雙解辭典, 35.
- 3 KROLL, A Student's Dictionary of Classical and Medieval Chinese, 108.; GUO, A Visual Dictionary of Chinese Architecture 中國建築英漢雙解辭典, 35.
- 4 GUO, A Visual Dictionary of Chinese Architecture 中國建築英漢雙解辭典, 35.
Broad Match: Building Frame
How to Cite This Entry
Bibliography:“ 方 fāng.” In Architectura Sinica, edited by Tracy Miller. Entry published May 7, 2020. https://architecturasinica.org/keyword/k000116.
About this Entry
Entry Title: 方 fāng
Authorial and Editorial Responsibility:
- Tracy Miller, editor, Architectura Sinica
- Yuh-Fen Benda, associate editor, Architectural Terminology
- ZHUGE Jing 諸葛净 and CHEN Luxi 陳麓西, entry contributors, “ 方 fāng”
- Initial research and revision by ZHUGE Jing 諸葛净 CHEN Luxi 陳麓西
- Peer review by ATTCAT 2018
- Editing, proofreading and revision by Tracy Miller
- Data entry, adding citations, and revising statements by SUN Zheng 孫正
Copyright and License for Reuse
Distributed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License.