Fotou Monastery 佛頭寺https://architecturasinica.org/place/000030
- Fotou Monastery (English)
- Fótóusì (Pinyin)
- Fo-t`ou-ssu (Wade-Giles)
- 佛頭寺 (Traditional Chinese)
- 佛头寺 (Simplified Chinese)
- Shanxi (Pinyin)
- 山西省 (Traditional Chinese)
- 山西省 (Simplified Chinese)
- Pingshun (Pinyin)
- 平顺 (Simplified Chinese)
- 县 (Simplified Chinese)
- County (English)
- Lat. 36.3581667° Long. 113.5761333°
Fotou Monastery, literally Buddha’s Head Monastery, is located in Chedang cun, Yanggao xiang, in Pingshun county. The date of its founding is unknown. Sitting in the north and facing south, only the great hall is extant. It contains a main hall which should date to the Song-Jin period (960-1234) and is registered under the Provincial Cultural Relics Protection Unit. There are also three Qing dynasty steles documenting restorations in the monastery preserved at the site.1
A plaque on the building seen in 2010 indicates that the hall was registered under the National Cultural Relics Protection Unit in 2006.
Any information without attribution has been created following the Syriaca.org editorial guidelines.
- 1 国家文物局. 2006. 中国文物地图集. 山西分册, II:305; 35-C6.
- 2 WILKINSON. 2000. Chinese History: A Manual, 12.
How to Cite This Entry
Bibliography:Tracy Miller, “Fotou Monastery 佛頭寺 .” In Architectura Sinica, edited by . Entry published March 21, 2018. https://architecturasinica.org/place/000030.
About this Entry
Entry Title: Fotou Monastery 佛頭寺
Authorial and Editorial Responsibility:
- Tracy Miller, entry contributor, “Fotou Monastery 佛頭寺 ”
- Editing, proofreading, data entry and revision by Tracy Miller
- adding external links Melanie Lu
- Data entry Kymbria Thomas
Copyright and License for Reuse
Distributed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License.