Jin Shrines, Sansheng Shrine 晉祠三聖祠https://architecturasinica.org/place/000048l
- Three Sages Shrine (English)
- 三聖祠 (Traditional Chinese)
- 三圣祠 (Simplified Chinese)
- Sānshèngcí (Pinyin)
- San-sheng-t'zu (Wade-Giles)
Originally two temples dedicated to the Medicine King (Yaowang 藥王) and the True Lord (Zhenjun 真君). In the second year of the Qianlong period (1737) they were combined into one temple and, with the addition of the Dragon King (Longwang 龍王) it was called the Shrine of the Three Kings 三王祠 which was later changed to the Shrine of the Three Sages. The Medicine King is the central divinity with the True Lord (aka Cangwang 倉王) to the left, a Black Dragon King at right. A short wall surrounds the building, and there is an entrance is through a fang 坊 gateway which serves as the front gate to the complex (Liu 1986, 32-33). This structure is number 13 on our plan of the site.1
Any information without attribution has been created following the Syriaca.org editorial guidelines.
- 1 劉. 1986. 晉祠志, 32-33.; MILLER. 2007. The Divine Nature of Power: Chinese Ritual Architecture at the Sacred Site of Jinci, 191.
- 2 WILKINSON. 2000. Chinese History: A Manual, 12.
Contained in Place
How to Cite This Entry
Bibliography:Tracy Miller, “Jin Shrines, Sansheng Shrine 晉祠三聖祠 .” In Architectura Sinica, edited by . Entry published October 22, 2020. https://architecturasinica.org/place/000048l.
About this Entry
Entry Title: Jin Shrines, Sansheng Shrine 晉祠三聖祠
Authorial and Editorial Responsibility:
- Tracy Miller, entry contributor, “Jin Shrines, Sansheng Shrine 晉祠三聖祠 ”
- Website coordination by Yuh-Fen Benda
- Editing and proof correction Tracy Miller Yuh-Fen Benda
- Data entry Waka Ogihara
Copyright and License for Reuse
Distributed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License.