South Jixiang Monastery 南吉祥寺https://architecturasinica.org/place/000067
- South Jixiang Monastery (English)
- Nán Jíxiángsì (Pinyin)
- Nan Chi-hsiang-ssu (Wade-Giles)
- 南吉祥寺 (Traditional Chinese)
- 南吉祥寺 (Simplified Chinese)
- Shanxi (Pinyin)
- 山西省 (Traditional Chinese)
- 山西省 (Simplified Chinese)
- Lingchuan (Pinyin)
- 陵川 (Simplified Chinese)
- 县 (Simplified Chinese)
- County (English)
- 平川 (Simplified Chinese)
- Lat. 35.77675° Long. 113.12075°
Located at Liyi town 禮義鎮, Pingchuan Village 平川村, Nan Jixiang si 南吉祥寺 was originally named Jixiang yuan 吉祥院. Its original construction date is unknown. Its extant passage hall has preserved the original structure constructed in the Song dynasty, while other buildings at the monastery were built in the Yuan and Ming dynasties.
The monastery was originally located at Songjiachuan 宋家川. It was relocated and reconstructed during the eighth year of Song Tiansheng reign period 宋天聖八年 (1030). With an area of 2,082 square meters, Nan Jixiang si characterizes a north-south oriented (facing the south), two-courtyard-style layout. Its Mountain Gate 山門, passage hall 過殿 and the Yuanming Hall 圓明殿 (back hall) all align with the central axis zhongzhouxian 中軸線. The bell tower 鐘樓, drum tower 鼓樓, side hall 配殿, meditation room 禪房 and side towers (jialou 夾樓) are located at two sides of the central axis.
Two renovations happened during the sixth year of the Yuan Zhiyuan reign period (1269) 元至元六年 and the third year of Zhizhi reign period (1323) 至治三年, and further maintenance projects took place in the Ming and Qing dynasties.
Any information without attribution has been created following the Syriaca.org editorial guidelines.
- 1 WILKINSON. 2000. Chinese History: A Manual, 12.
- 2 国家文物局. 2006. 中国文物地图集. 山西分册, III: 762; 57-C1.
How to Cite This Entry
Bibliography:HUANG Danni 黄聃婗, “South Jixiang Monastery 南吉祥寺 .” In Architectura Sinica, edited by . Entry published March 21, 2018. https://architecturasinica.org/place/000067.
About this Entry
Entry Title: South Jixiang Monastery 南吉祥寺
Authorial and Editorial Responsibility:
- HUANG Danni 黄聃婗, entry contributor, “South Jixiang Monastery 南吉祥寺 ”
- Data entry, adding building information 2021 by HUANG Danni 黄聃婗
- Editing and proof correction Tracy Miller
- adding external links SUN Zheng
Copyright and License for Reuse
Distributed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License.