Jiaozhu is a broad term referring to any pillar placed at the corner of a building. Usually, “corner pillars” refer to eaves pillars located at the corners of a timber frame structure. In Chapter 5 of the Yingzao Fashi (1103), corner pillars are discussed in conjunction with leveling (central bay) pillars in the calculations of the changes in height necessary to achieve the appropriate upward curvature of the eaves toward the corners. In the Song dynasty Yingzao Fashi as well as the Qing dynasty Digong zuofa and Gongcheng zuofa, the term can also refer to short pillars located at the corners of a foundation (taiji), which were usually made of stone.
角柱，即位於角部的柱的泛稱。通常指建築物外檐角部的柱。 在宋《營造法式》卷五，大木作部分的角柱與平柱一起，用於通过生起确定屋檐的曲线。 在宋《營造法式》和清《地宮作法》， 《工程做法》 角柱也指台基角部的短石柱。
Any information without attribution has been created following the Syriaca.org editorial guidelines.
- 1 ATTCAT 2018
- 2 李, YZFS, 5.4b-5a.; 陈, 《营造法式》辞解, 111.; 王, 中国古建筑术语辞典, 203.
- 3 GUO, A Visual Dictionary of Chinese Architecture 中國建築英漢雙解辭典, 64.
Broad Match: Building Frame
How to Cite This Entry
Bibliography:“ 角柱 jiǎozhù.” In Architectura Sinica, edited by Tracy Miller. Entry published May 23, 2019. https://architecturasinica.org/keyword/k000035.
About this Entry
Entry Title: 角柱 jiǎozhù
Authorial and Editorial Responsibility:
- Tracy Miller, editor, Architectura Sinica
- Yuh-Fen Benda, associate editor, Architectural Terminology
- ZHUGE Jing 諸葛净, entry contributor, “ 角柱 jiǎozhù”
- Initial research and revision by ZHUGE Jing 諸葛净
- Peer review by ATTCAT 2018
- Data entry, proofreading, and revision by Tracy Miller
- Adding citations Melanie Lu
- Revising title statement by SUN Zheng 孫正
Copyright and License for Reuse
Distributed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License.