- pillar top tie beams (preferred) (English)1
- 闌額 (Traditional Chinese)2
- 阑额 (Simplified Chinese)3
- lāné (zh-latn-pinyin-nt)
- lán'é (Pinyin)4
- lan-o (Wade-Giles)
- forehead rail (lit.) (English)
- architraves (English)6
- column-top-ties (English)9
- connecting-beams (English)8
- lintels (English)5
- penetrating tie beams (English)7
In traditional Chinese timber-frame architecture, the lan’e refers to horizontal elements positioned between and on top of pillars with both ends inserted into the pillars. Its upper surface is level with the top of the pillar. In premodern sources, the term appears to only be used in the Yingzao fashi (1103), chapters 4 and 5. Modern architectural historians use this term to describe architectural elements that accord with the Yingzao fashi description in buildings dating from the Tang (618-907) to early Ming (1368-1644) dynasties. This term is also used by some modern architectural historians to describe long horizontal elements, sometimes supported by dougong 斗拱, located above or between eaves pillars, as can be seen in representations of buildings in stone cave temples, wall paintings, and sarcophagi dating before the Tang dynasty. (Zhuge Jing 諸葛净, Chen Luxi 陳麓西, ATTCAT 2018)
Any information without attribution has been created following the Syriaca.org editorial guidelines.
- 1 ATTCAT 2018
- 2 李, YZFS, 4.9a; 5.3b-4a.
- 3 陈, 《营造法式》辞解, 433.; 王, 中国古建筑术语辞典, 402.
- 4 GUO, A Visual Dictionary of Chinese Architecture 中國建築英漢雙解辭典, 52.
- 5 LIANG, Pictorial History of Chinese Architecture, 9-10.; STEINHARDT, Liao Architecture, 74, 184.
- 6 LIANG, Pictorial History of Chinese Architecture, 10.; FU, Traditional Chinese Architecture: Twelve Essays, 72, 360.; STEINHARDT, Liao Architecture, 74.; MILLER, Divine Nature of Power, 201.
- 7 STEINHARDT, Liao Architecture, 176.
- 8 STEINHARDT, Liao Architecture, 74.
- 9 GUO, A Visual Dictionary of Chinese Architecture 中國建築英漢雙解辭典, 52.
Broad Match: Building Frame
How to Cite This Entry
Bibliography:“ 闌額 lāné.” In Architectura Sinica, edited by Tracy Miller. Entry published May 22, 2019. https://architecturasinica.org/keyword/k000038.
About this Entry
Entry Title: 闌額 lāné
Authorial and Editorial Responsibility:
- Tracy Miller, editor, Architectura Sinica
- Yuh-Fen Benda, associate editor, Architectural Terminology
- ZHUGE Jing 諸葛净 and CHEN Luxi 陳麓西, entry contributors, “ 闌額 lāné”
- Initial research and revision by ZHUGE Jing 諸葛净, CHEN Luxi 陳麓西
- Peer review by ATTCAT 2018
- Data entry, proofreading and revision by Tracy Miller
- Revising title statement by SUN Zheng 孫正
Copyright and License for Reuse
Distributed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License.