Most architectural scholars agree that in traditional Chinese timber-frame buildings, eaves tie beams refer to a structural elements positioned on top of eaves pillars, run parallel to the roof ridge, and span at least three bays. The use of this element indicates a structural system where the roof is supported by the timber frame parallel to the roof ridge. This stands in contradistinction to the more commonly-seen system where the timber-framing elements perpendicular to the roof ridge support the roof. But there are different opinions among scholars about whether the element referred to as the “eaves tie beam” must project from pillars at the corners of the building. As far as we know, the term is primarily used in the Yingzao Fashi (1103) . However, the precise definition of the yan’e as used in the Yingzao fashi, as well as its relationship to the Scholars who believe that eaves tie beams which project from pillars ends follow the description in the Yingzao Fashi (5.4a) strictly use the Linshui ting 臨水亭 of the Jidumiao 濟瀆廟 in Jiyuan xian, Henan 濟源縣, the main hall of the Guanwangmiao 關王廟大殿 in Dingxiangxian 定襄縣, Shanxi, and the Guanyinge 觀音閣 of Kaihuasi 開化寺, in Gaoping, Shanxi 山西高平 as examples. Scholars who emphasize the comment in the Yingzao fashi stating the dimensions of this element regularly exceed that of other timbers in this location argue that these long horizontal elements on top of eaves pillars in buildings dating to Yuan Dynasty in Shanxi and Shaanxi province are eaves tie beams.
闌額 lāné; 楣；橫楣
Any information without attribution has been created following the Syriaca.org editorial guidelines.
- 1 ATTCAT 2018
- 2 李, YZFS, 5, 7, 14, 26.
- 3 陈, 《营造法式》辞解, 437.
- 4 FU, Traditional Chinese Architecture: Twelve Essays, 70, Figure 2.22.
- 5 GUO, A Visual Dictionary of Chinese Architecture 中國建築英漢雙解辭典, 87.
- 6 FU, Traditional Chinese Architecture: Twelve Essays, 370.
Broad Match: Building Frame
How to Cite This Entry
Bibliography:“ 檐額 yán’é.” In Architectura Sinica, edited by Tracy Miller. Entry published May 22, 2019. https://architecturasinica.org/keyword/k000097.
About this Entry
Entry Title: 檐額 yán’é
Authorial and Editorial Responsibility:
- Tracy Miller, editor, Architectura Sinica
- Yuh-Fen Benda, associate editor, Architectural Terminology
- ZHUGE Jing 諸葛净, entry contributor, “ 檐額 yán’é”
- Initial research and revision by ZHUGE Jing 諸葛净
- Peer review by ATTCAT 2018
- Data entry, proofreading and revision by Tracy Miller
- Adding citations Song Qisen 松奇森
- Revising title statement by SUN Zheng 孫正
Copyright and License for Reuse
Distributed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License.