yǐngzuò mùgòu 影作木構https://architecturasinica.org/keyword/k000099
- yingzuo mugou (Pinyin without tones)
- 影作木構 (Traditional Chinese)
- 影作木构 (Simplified Chinese)1
- yǐngzuò mùgòu (Pinyin)
- ying-tso mu-kou (Wade-Giles)
- "Shadow-works timber structure" (lit.) (English)
- Painted representations of timber architecture (English)
First coined in the 1980s (Su Bai 1982, 141-142), yingzuo mugou is a modern term adopted by archaeologists and art historians referring to painted representations of timber architectural components in underground architecture (e.g. tombs and reliquary chambers beneath pagodas). The meaning of yingzuo here as a “painted representation of something” has departed from its original context in the Yingzao fashi. Similar appropriations appeared in 1950s (Su Bai 1957), such as in painted representations of door lintels (yingzuo men’e 影作門額), and painted representations of bracket-sets (yingzuo puzuo 影作鋪作).2
Any information without attribution has been created following the Syriaca.org editorial guidelines.
- 1 宿. 1982. 西安地区唐墓壁画的布局和内容, 137-154.
- 2 宿. 1982. 西安地区唐墓壁画的布局和内容, 141-142.; 宿. 1957. 白沙宋墓, 90.
Broad Match: bracketing
Broad Match: architectural ornament
How to Cite This Entry
Bibliography:REN Sijie 任思捷 et al., “ 影作木構 yǐngzuò mùgòu.” In Architectura Sinica, edited by Tracy Miller. Entry published May 21, 2019. https://architecturasinica.org/keyword/k000099.
About this Entry
Entry Title: 影作木構 yǐngzuò mùgòu
Authorial and Editorial Responsibility:
- Tracy Miller, editor, Architectura Sinica
- ZHUGE Jing 諸葛净, associate editor, Architectural Terminology
- REN Sijie 任思捷 and YANG Wantian 楊莞闐, entry contributors, “ 影作木構 yǐngzuò mùgòu”
- Website coordination by Yuh-Fen Benda
- Initial research and revision by REN Sijie 任思捷 YANG Wantian 楊莞闐
- Peer review by ATTCAT 2018
- Data entry, proofreading and revision by Tracy Miller
- English proofreading by Aurelia Campbell
- Chinese proofreading by ZHUGE Jing 諸葛净
- Adding citations Song Qisen 松奇森
- Revising title statement by SUN Zheng 孫正
Copyright and License for Reuse
Distributed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License.