Roof tile of shallow concave shape; can serve as a gutter tile or a covering tile. Eaves tiles of this type have an overhanging lip to allow water to drip away from the bottom edge. These are categorized according to decorative treatment of the lip. The two most common types are the chongchun banwa 重唇板瓦 (lit. multi-lipped plate tile) and huatou banwa 華頭板瓦 (lit. flower/ornamented head plate tile).
Any information without attribution has been created following the Syriaca.org editorial guidelines.
- 1 ATTCAT 2018
- 2 FU, Traditional Chinese Architecture: Twelve Essays, 391.
Broad Match: Roofing Tiles
How to Cite This Entry
Bibliography:“ 板瓦 bǎnwǎ.” In Architectura Sinica, edited by Tracy Miller. Entry published January 17, 2020. https://architecturasinica.org/keyword/k000104.
About this Entry
Entry Title: 板瓦 bǎnwǎ
Authorial and Editorial Responsibility:
- Tracy Miller, editor, Architectura Sinica
- Yuh-Fen Benda, associate editor, Architectural Terminology
- Peer review by ATTCAT 2018
- Data entry, proofreading and revision by Yuh-Fen Benda, Tracy Miller
- Adding citations CHEN Yiyang 陳祎陽
- Revising title statement by SUN Zheng 孫正
Copyright and License for Reuse
Distributed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License.