Jin Shrines, Chaoyang Cavern 晉祠朝陽洞https://architecturasinica.org/place/000048ba
- Chaoyang Cavern (English)
- 朝陽洞 (Traditional Chinese)
- 朝阳洞 (Simplified Chinese)
- Cháoyángdòng (Pinyin)
- chao-yang-tung (Wade-Giles)
- 晉祠朝陽洞 (Traditional Chinese)
- 晋祠朝阳洞 (Simplified Chinese)
- Jinci Chaoyangdong (English)
The cavern is named because it is located on the east side of Xuanweng mountain and the east sides of mountains are called chaoyang (west sides of mountains called xiyang 夕陽). The Chaoyang Cavern, along with the Ancestor Lü Ge-pavilion (see 32 below) is mentioned in an inscription dated to Qianlong 28 (1763). Peng Hai lists the Chaoyang Cavern Pavilion (Chaoyangdongting 朝陽洞亭) as being built in 1785. The whole complex is depicted on the Qianlong period painting of the site. This structure is number 27 on our site.1
Any information without attribution has been created following the Syriaca.org editorial guidelines.
- 1 MILLER. 2007. The Divine Nature of Power: Chinese Ritual Architecture at the Sacred Site of Jinci, 195.
- 2 WILKINSON. 2000. Chinese History: A Manual, 12.
Contained in Place
How to Cite This Entry
Bibliography:Tracy Miller, “Jin Shrines, Chaoyang Cavern 晉祠朝陽洞 .” In Architectura Sinica, edited by . Entry published September 23, 2021. https://architecturasinica.org/place/000048ba.
About this Entry
Entry Title: Jin Shrines, Chaoyang Cavern 晉祠朝陽洞
Authorial and Editorial Responsibility:
- Tracy Miller, entry contributor, “Jin Shrines, Chaoyang Cavern 晉祠朝陽洞 ”
- Website coordination by Yuh-Fen Benda
- Editing and proof correction Tracy Miller Yuh-Fen Benda
- Data entry Yue Chen
Copyright and License for Reuse
Distributed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License.