Longxing Monastery  隆興寺



  • Longxing Monastery (English)
  • 隆興寺 (Traditional Chinese)
  • 隆兴寺 (Simplified Chinese)
  • Lóngxìngsì (Pinyin)
  • Lung-hsing-ssu (Wade-Giles)
  • Longxingsi


河北省正定县 Hebei
  • China
  • Province:
    • Hebei (Pinyin)
    • 河北省 (Traditional Chinese)
    • 河北省 (Simplified Chinese)
  • County-city:
    • Zhengding (Pinyin)
    • 正定 (Simplified Chinese)
  • Political-subdivision:
    • (Simplified Chinese)
    • County (English)
  • Coordinates:
    • Lat. 38.14109167° Long. 114.5763528°
  • Building Information

    Longxing Monastery (Longxingsi 隆興寺) is located in Zhengding, Hebei. The site was originally founded in 586 CE during the Sui dynasty when it was called Longzangsi 龍藏寺. In the Tang dynasty the name was changed to Longxingsi 龍興寺. Under the imperial patronage of the Northern Song dynasty, Longxing Monastery was expanded in scale and the oldest extant structures in the monastery today, those which define the core of the main ritual axis, date to that period. During the Qing dynasty Kangxi reign period (1661-1722), the emperor renamed the monastery Longxingsi 隆興寺, the name we use today. Despite frequent renovations during its history, the planning and the core structure of the major buildings are believed to reflect Song dynasty style. From south to north, the main structures on its central axis are the “One-word” Glazed Shadow Wall(Yizi liuli yingbi 一字琉璃影壁), the Stone Bridge (Shiqiao 石橋), Celestial Kings Hall (Tianwangdian 天王殿), the foundation of the Dajue liushi Hall 大覺六師殿, Moni Hall 摩尼殿, the ordination altar (jietan 戒壇), and Dabei Pavilion (Dabeige 大悲閣). On the east and west sides of the central axis between the ordination altar and Dabei Pavilion are the Revolving Sutra Pavilion (Zhuanlunzang ge 轉輪藏閣) and Maitreya Pavilion (Cishige 慈氏閣). An Amitabha Hall (Mituodian 彌陀殿) was added behind Dabei Pavilion in 1510 CE. In 1959, in order to better protect the Ming dynasty Pilu Hall from Chongyin Monastery in Zhengding, this building was relocated to the north end of the Longxing Monastery complex central axis.1

    隆興寺位於河北省石家莊市正定縣。 其始建於開皇六年(586),初名龍藏寺。 唐代改為龍興寺。 北宋開寶二年(969),宋太祖趙匡胤敕令重建並擴建此寺。 此後經北宋, 皇家多次重修,逐漸形成瞭如今的佈局。 康熙帝亦對此寺青睞有加,於康熙四十一年至四十八年(1702-1709)再度擴建重修,並於康熙四十九年親書「敕建隆興寺」,此名沿用至今。 隆興寺雖經多朝擴建重修,但其主要格局仍遵循宋代傳統。 在中軸線上從南至北的主要建築有一字琉璃影壁、石橋天王殿大覺六師殿(遺址)、摩尼殿、戒壇、大悲閣彌陀殿。 在中軸兩側,戒壇與大悲閣之間,東設轉輪藏閣,西設慈氏閣。 在1959年,為了更好地保護原址在崇因寺的明代建築毘盧殿,這座建築被遷建於隆興寺內。1

    Dynasty Sui-Qing 2

    External Links

    Works Cited

    Any information without attribution has been created following the Syriaca.org editorial guidelines.

    • 1 河北省正定縣文物保管所. 2000. 正定隆興寺, 1-19.Link to Zotero Bibliographic Record; 2013. 中国文物地图集. 河北分册, 37.Link to Zotero Bibliographic Record
    • 2 WILKINSON. 2000. Chinese History: A Manual, 12.Link to Zotero Bibliographic Record

    Contains artifact(s) (9)

    Date range

    How to Cite This Entry

    CMW (HART 2815) F23, “Longxing Monastery 隆興寺 ” in Architectura Sinica last modified April 30, 2024, https://architecturasinica.org/place/000064.


    CMW (HART 2815) F23, “Longxing Monastery 隆興寺 .” In Architectura Sinica, edited by Tracy Miller. Entry published March 21, 2018. https://architecturasinica.org/place/000064.

    About this Entry

    Entry Title: Longxing Monastery 隆興寺

    Authorial and Editorial Responsibility:

    • Tracy Miller, editor, Architectura Sinica
    • CMW (HART 2815) F23, entry contributor, “Longxing Monastery 隆興寺

    Additional Credit:

    • Website coordination: Yuh-Fen Benda
    • Page creator: Tracy Miller
    • Entry composition: GAO Qihan
    • Image editing: HUANG Liyu
    • Image addition: GAO Qihan Tracy Miller
    • Internal links: GAO Qihan
    • External links: SUN Zheng
    • Editing and proof correction: Tracy Miller YAN Yiyang 嚴一洋

    Copyright and License for Reuse

    Except otherwise noted, this page is © 2018.

    Distributed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License.